Scent Research follows its own rules!
Understanding the mechanism of consumer-scent-perception is key for a successful scent research.
Why use specific Scent Research?
- Help develop/select the best scent/fragrance submission for products, not the least inappropriate one(s)!
- Increase the differentiation between scent candidates towards coherence.
Scent has a much greater impact than we are consciously aware of *!
- initiates a myriade of memories
- impacts mood
- even affects work performance
But not only that!
Here is an underestimated fact: an IMAGINED smell (e.g. prompted by a picture, a pack,...) is as POWERFUL as a real smell!
Our brain hardly makes the difference!
Decoding consumer scent PERCEPTION and/or EXPECTATIONS is crucial for cohesive products/brands!
* Closely interlinked with our emotional brain (limbic system) and our long-term memory (hippocampus) scent perception instantly leads to an emotional reaction!
WHEN to apply Consumer Scent Research?
When it's not just about liking, but liking for what?! Make sure to be on track with target consumer's scent expectation!
* Qualitative scent research with target consumers
** Qualitative and/or Hybrid (qual-quant) scent research with target consumers
IMPORTANT! At any stage, qualitative consumer scent research helps enrich the (final) quantitative validation questionnaires. Decode the relevant consumer language, at 3 levels: 1) concept-lead scent characteristics/notes 2) concept-lead emotional spaces 3) product functional cues.
Need support in scent testing issues?
Related blog articles: